If you’re spending your holiday in America’s capital, you should feel lucky! DC is a wonderful place to be in around Christmas. Here’s your complete guide to what to do, where to eat, and what to wear in Washington DC.
What To Do:
- See the holiday displays at the Smithsonian museums. They have great Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa displays- you could spend all week here!
- Go to the downtown holiday market. Sip candy cane hot chocolate while you shop for notebooks, jewelry, and lots of other cute novelties.
- For the history buffs, take a candlelit tour of George Washington’s home at Mount Vernon
- See the lights at City Center- and get all your holiday shopping done!
- Visit the botanical gardens- their holiday displays are always amazing, and very memorable.
Where To Eat:
- Filomena Ristorante- This Italian restaurant in Georgetown is famous for it’s over the top decor and homemade pasta!
- Martin’s Tavern- Also in Georgetown, this is a great option if you want a casual meal.
- Old Ebbit Grill- If nothing else, go just so you can get a selfie with the giant nutcrackers that flank the entrance every December!
- Bayou Bakery- There’s a singing robotic Santa on a motorcycle. That’s all I’m going to say.
- 1789- This place has arguably the best holiday decorations in a 100 mile radius. You’d almost expect to see an elf bringing you your burrata!
What to Wear:
- Gloves- Even if you’re not going to be shaking hands with statesmen, bring a warm pair of wool or (faux!) leather gloves.
- Quilted Jacket- They instantly add a formal touch to an outfit, and they’ll keep you nice and toasty while you traipse around an outdoor market.
- Dark Jeans- Are they jeans? Are they dress pants? Are they leggings? Who knows! All I know is that in DC in the winter, it is way too cold to wear a dress or skirt, so pack plenty of jeans.
- Infinity Scarf- Not only is it freezing, it’s always extremely windy in DC. An infinity scarf is the perfect mix of fashion and function.
- Fleece lined boots- Something a little extra to keep your toes warm, so you can walk all day!