Sometimes, the best vacations aren’t the ones where you only go to places with 5 stars on Yelp. Exploring an offbeat destination- be it a remote beach, small town, or distant forest, will let you explore a new place and see places you never would have. Finding your destination is a lot of fun in itself. What is your favorite thing about taking a vacation? If it’s seeing historical sites, find a town near a lot of ruins and museums. If it’s being outdoors, look up forests, not national parks. If it’s relaxing and being pampered, try a town with Roman baths. Here are some tips for exploring an offbeat destination.
- Keep an all-purpose kit in your bag, including sunscreen, a hat, a foldable, waterproof coat, a map of wherever you’re going, a first aid kit, a flashlight, and a portable phone charger. You never know where you’ll be able to find a store with these essentials
- Keep water with you!
- Learn about local weather, especially around the time you’re going. If you’re planning a beach vacation, make sure it’s not raining!
- Arrange for some form of transportation once you get there, be it public transport, a bike, or a car
- Keep snacks on hand, so you don’t have to keep stopping for food. Taking your own food is much cheaper and healthier!
- Take lots of pictures! You don’t need to keep posting on Instagram, but keep some record of your trip for yourself.
- Leave it the same way you found it. Don’t ruin a pristine, remote forest with litter, or disturb local flora and fauna. Always clean up after yourselves.